This report summarizes the most prominent events brought up in the Jihadi online forums in…
This report summarizes the most prominent events brought up in the Jihadi online forums in the second half of May 2012. Following are the main issues raised in this report:
• Sheikh Ayman Al-Zawahiri calls on the residents of Saudi Arabia to organize mass protests to overthrow the Saudi regime.
• The Pakistani Taliban publish a video of the storming of Bannu Prison, during which nearly 400 Muslim prisoners were freed, among them Taliban involved in an attempted assassination of the former president of Pakistan.
• The Islamic State of Iraq exhorts Sunnis to realize that it is protecting their interests, while the Shiites are the real enemy, and must be fought.
• Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) takes responsibility for an attack against Yemen’s minister of defense and US military officers at a military base near Sana’a.
• Ansar Al-Din and the National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad jointly agree to establishment an Islamic state in Azawad, northern Mali.
• A new Libyan Salafi-jihadist group, “The Imprisoned Sheikh Omar Abd Al- Rahman Brigades”, publishes its first announcement.
• The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan publishes the second issue of the Urdulanguage magazine Shariat.