This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of July 2012. Following are the main points covered in the report:
• Ustad Ahmad Farouq, the spokesman for Al-Qaeda in Pakistan, called on the mujahideen there to attack US and NATO supply convoys bound for Afghanistan.
• Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) called on mujahideen and supporters of jihad to commit acts of individual jihad (i.e. “lone wolf” attacks) everywhere, especially in the West.
• Abu Obeidah Abdallah Al-Adam, a senior Al-Qaeda strategist, authorized and encouraged the murder of Alawites in Syria.
• Sheikh Siraj Al-Din Zuriqat, a preacher in Beirut’s mosques and supporter of the revolution in Syria, harshly criticized Hezbollah and warned Lebanon’s Sunnis to “sober up” and put an end to the discrimination against them.
• Many jihadist groups lauded the release from prison of Sheikh Abu Al-Walid Al-Maqdisi, emir of Al-Tawhid wal-Jihad, a Salafi-jihadist group active in the Gaza Strip.
• An August 5 terrorist attack on the Israel-Egypt-Gaza Strip border that resulted in the death of some 16 Egyptian soldiers was criticized on jihadist Web forums and by some Salafi-jihadist groups.
• Al-Dharaghem [The Lions], a new jihadist media institution slated to focus on events in the Maghreb [North Africa], has been established.
• The third issue of the jihadist magazine Al-Qaeda Airlines was published; it focuses on preparation of the poisons Ricin and Nicotine.