This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of July 2012. Following are the main points covered in the report:
• Ustad Ahmad Farouq, the spokesman for Al-Qaeda in Pakistan, called on the mujahideen there to attack US and NATO supply convoys bound for Afghanistan.
• Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) called on mujahideen and supporters of jihad to commit acts of individual jihad (i.e. “lone wolf” attacks) everywhere, especially in the West.
• Abu Obeidah Abdallah Al-Adam, a senior Al-Qaeda strategist, authorized and encouraged the murder of Alawites in Syria.
• Sheikh Siraj Al-Din Zuriqat, a preacher in Beirut’s mosques and supporter of the revolution in Syria, harshly criticized Hezbollah and warned Lebanon’s Sunnis to “sober up” and put an end to the discrimination against them.
• Many jihadist groups lauded the release from prison of Sheikh Abu Al-Walid Al-Maqdisi, emir of Al-Tawhid wal-Jihad, a Salafi-jihadist group active in the Gaza Strip.
• An August 5 terrorist attack on the Israel-Egypt-Gaza Strip border that resulted in the death of some 16 Egyptian soldiers was criticized on jihadist Web forums and by some Salafi-jihadist groups.
• Al-Dharaghem [The Lions], a new jihadist media institution slated to focus on events in the Maghreb [North Africa], has been established.
• The third issue of the jihadist magazine Al-Qaeda Airlines was published; it focuses on preparation of the poisons Ricin and Nicotine.