This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of July 2012. Following are the main points covered in the report:
• The emir of the Islamic State of Iraq announces that jihad in Iraq has entered a new phase, of more intense assaults on the installments of Shiites and their allies. He also promises a wave of attacks in the US, more violent than those of September 11, 2001.
• Mevlevi Sengin, a senior leader of the Haqqani Network, urges Turkey’s Muslims to fight the enemies of Allah in Afghanistan and elsewhere.
• The Pakistan Taliban threaten to attack Burmese interests in Pakistan, to avenge the alleged persecution and slaughter of Muslims by the Burmese regime.
• Sheikh Harith bin Ghazi Al-Nadhari, a senior member of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), encourages Muslims living in the West to perform individual acts of jihad.
• Ansar Bet Al-Maqdes [Supporters of Jerusalem], a new Salafi-jihadist group, takes responsibility for blowing up the Egypt-Israel gas pipeline in the Sinai Peninsula.
• The Mujahideen Shura Council in the Environs of Jerusalem, a Salafi-jihadist group active in the Sinai Peninsula, publishes a video clip calling for jihad against Israel and the Jews, and video clips showing two of its operatives.
• Hussam Abd Al-Raouf, a member of Al-Qaeda’s strategic council, proposes a detailed program for turning Egypt into an Islamic theocracy.
• Shumukh Al-Islam, a leading jihadist Web forum, renews its activity after a hiatus.