This report summarizes notable events discussed on Jihadi Web forums during the second half of September 2012. Following are the main points covered in the report:
• In a new video clip, Al-Qaeda leader Sheikh Ayman Al-Zawahiri remembers his predecessor Sheikh Osama bin Laden, and also announces the death of Sheikh Muhammad Yasser, a senior member of the Taliban.
• Sheikh Harith bin Ghazi Al-Nadhari, a member of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), stresses that impugning the honor of the Prophet Muhammad incurs a death sentence. He urges imitating the attack on the US diplomatic mission in Benghazi, Libya, as a response to such desecration.
• Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM) announces the death of Sheikh Nabil Abu Alqama Al-Awrasi, deputy emir for the Sahara.
• Kenyan Army and AMISOM forces take control of the port of Kismayo, a stronghold of Al-Shabab Al-Mujahideen. In response, Muslim Youth Center, a Kenyan Islamist group with strong ties to Al-Shabab, threatens to join the fight in Kismayo if Muslim blood is shed.
• Ansar Bet Al-Maqdes, a Salafi-jihadist group active in the Sinai Peninsula, takes responsibility for a September 20th terrorist attack on the Egypt-Israel border in which an Israeli soldier was killed.
• A new Islamic group, Jihadist Islamic Da’wa, is established in Egypt. It is headed by prominent Salafi-jihadist Sheikh Muhammad Al-Zawahiri, brother of Al-Qaeda leader Ayman Al-Zawahiri.
• Egyptian Salafi-jihadist Sheikh Muhammad Al-Zawahiri outlines the terms of a ”contract” between the Islamist movement and the West, which will lead to a ceasefire.
• Members of the jihadist Web forum Shumukh Al-Islam urge attacks on British embassies and consulates in the Islamic world and elsewhere, in response to Britian’s intention to extradite Sheikh Hamza Al-Masri to the US.
• Shabaka Islaamiga Gurmad [Islamic Gurmad Network], a new jihadist Web forum in Swahili, is launched.