This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the First Half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the First Half of April 2013. Following are the main points covered in the report:
• Sheikh Ayman al-Zawahiri encourages mujahideen in all arenas of jihad, and urges Muslims to unite under the banner of monotheism and Islamic law. He warns France of the price it will pay for waging war in northern Mali.
• The leader of the Islamic State of Iraq declares it has joined forces with the Al-Nusra Front in Syria, and that the united group will now be known as The Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham. The leader of the Al-Nusra Front quickly disavows any “unification”, insisting that the Al-Nusra Front is loyal first and foremost to Al-Qaeda leader Sheikh Ayman al-Zawahiri.
• Ahmad Farouq, who is responsible for Al-Qaeda’s da’wa [missionary efforts] in Pakistan, urges the Bengali people to oppose the Bangladeshi regime, because of its secular policies, which are eroding the country’s Islamic identity.
• Abdullah ibn Muhammad, who maintains respected, popular Facebook and Twitter accounts on jihadist strategic affairs, proposes a plan for liberating Palestine.
• Abu Sufya al-Azdi Sa’id al-Shihri, a prominent member of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), exhorts the Saudi Arabian people to revolt against the Saudi regime and oppose the presence of bases in Saudi Arabia from which drones are sent to attack Muslims in Yemen.
• Ibrahim al-Rubaysh, the mufti of Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP), warns that Yemen will suffer if the government persists in refusing to sign a cease-fire agreement with AQAP. He urges Yemeni soldiers to desert the army, because of Yemen’s persistent collaboration with the US.
• The fourth issue of Al-Qaeda Airlines covers the manufacture and use of hydrogen-cyanide poison against Western targets.