This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the second half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the second half of October 2014. Following are the main points covered in the report:
- Al-Qaeda publishes a new magazine in English titled, “Resurgence”. According to the editor, it is designed to focus on propaganda regarding Muslims living in the Indian Subcontinent and to awaken the spirit of jihad against the regimes in this region. Other topics that are covered in the issue include: allocating resources and concentrating efforts on damaging the Western economy by increasing maritime terrorist attacks against commercial vessels in maritime trade routes.
- The Islamic State and its supporters are waging a psychological war against coalition forces, led by the United States. For example, Islamic State fighters threaten to attack Western civilians and targets, including France, as long as the war continues. In a propaganda video published by the organization, captive British journalist John Cantlie appeals to the West to stop its attacks because, among other reasons, it is doomed to fail.
- Jund al-Khilafa, a Salafi-jihadist organization in Algeria that supports the Islamic State, threatens to kill a French citizen who is being held captive by the organization if France does not end its battle against Islamic State militants in Iraq and Syria.
- The Al-Nusra Front, Al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria, threatens to kill Lebanese soldiers being held captive by the organization. In order to spare their lives, the organization demands that the Lebanese army lift the siege from the city of Tripoli and stop its aggression against the local Sunni population.
- Ajnad Misr, a jihadist organization operating in Egypt, announces the establishment of a media wing called Al-Kinana, to be responsible for posting publicity materials. The new media institution’s first publications include a claim of responsibility for terrorist attacks against Egyptian security forces.
- A member of the Shumukh al-Islam jihadist Web forum publishes a collection of tips for Muslims who are interested in assassinating senior security officials in Muslim and Western countries but are not equipped with the firearms needed for this purpose. The tips include following the assassination targets and throwing Molotov cocktails at their cars or buildings.