This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the first half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the first half of June 2014. Following are the main points covered in the report:
- Mawla Asim Umar, a senior member of Al-Qaeda in Pakistan, calls on Muslims in Kashmir to wage jihad against the Indian regime. According to him, Muslims in India and Kashmir must aid in the effort to establish an Islamic caliphate.
- The Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan and its leader, Emir Mullah Omar, welcome the prisoner exchange deal in the framework of which captive American soldier, Bowe Bergdahl, was released in return for five senior members of the Taliban in Afghanistan who were imprisoned in Guantanamo Bay.
- The Islamic State of Iraq and Al-Sham (ISIS) conquers the city of Mosul in Nineveh Province, Iraq, a move that is widely applauded by many jihad fighters and praised in the jihadist discourse on social networks. As a result of its occupation of Mosul, the organization publishes a document addressed to residents of Nineveh Province titled, “Covenant of the City” in which it details the rules and regulations to be imposed on the residents, such as the obligation to pray.
- In a video published by Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb (AQIM), Serge Lazarivic, a French abductee being held captive by the organization, appeals to the President of France to make efforts towards his release.
- AQIM claims responsibility for the attempted assassination of Tunisian Interior Minister, Lutfi Bin Jeddo.