This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the first half of…
This report summarizes notable events discussed on jihadist Web forums during the first half of December 2014. Following are the main points covered in the report:
- Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) threatens to attack the American public both on and outside US soil, as a result of the failed American attempt to free American journalist, Luke Somers. The attempt was made after the organization set a three-day ultimatum for the US government to meet its demands or else the captive would be executed, a threat that was carried out as a result of the failed rescue attempt.
- Sheikh Ali al-Anasi, a senior member of AQAP, accuses the US of collaborating with the Houthis, a Shi’ite minority in Yemen supported by Iran, and claims that attacks should be directed at the US due to its support for the Shi’ites. In addition, he expresses support for the Islamic State’s jihad against Christians, Shi’ites and abandoners of Islam but he expresses doubts regarding its battle against other jihadist organization, its declaration of new provinces under the caliphate that it does not control on the ground, and the beheadings that it conducts and films.
- The Al-Nusra Front, Al-Qaeda’s affiliate in Syria, executes a Lebanese soldier for the Lebanese army’s crimes against the Sunni population, and threatens to continue executing other prisoners if the organization’s members being held in Lebanese prisons are not released. In addition, it accuses the Lebanese army of being at the beck and call of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement and calls on Sunni Muslims to take action to defend their religion and their honor.
- A new jihadist organization called the Al-Ribat Battalion in Sinai announces its establishment and emphasizes that most of its activities will be dedicated to fighting against the Egyptian army. According to the organization, it has differences of opinion with supporters of the Islamic State but due to the existence of a common enemy they must join hands and work toward the same goal.
- A member of the Islamic State calls on Muslims in Canada to move to arenas of jihad and join the ranks of the Islamic State, and on those who are unable to do so to carry out attacks on Canadian soil.