ICT Database Report: January 2011
- On 1 January 2011, an explosion occurred shortly after Midnight Mass at the Egyptian Coptic Church in Alexandria, Egypt killing 23 people and injuring 70 people.
- On 7 January 2011, AQIM militants kidnapped and killed two French civilians in the capital city of Niger, Niamey.
- On 14 January 2011, nine men appeared via videolink in court in London, UK and were charged with plotting a terrorist attack aimed to target the British citizens.
- On 18 January 2011, 65 people were killed and 150 people were injured, when a suicide bomber detonated his explosives amongst a crowd of police recruits in Tikrit, Iraq.
- On 19 January 2011, militants from the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan claimed Bekkay Harrach, a German al Qa’ida militant, who had threatened attacks against Germany was killed.
- On 24 January 2011, a male suicide bomber detonated his explosives at the International Arrivals hall at Domodedovo airport, Moscow, Russia killing 35 people and injuring 168 people.
- On 25 January 2011, Ahmed Ghailani was sentenced to life in prison for his role in the 1998 bomb attacks on the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania.